Union Pacific black FEF-3 4-8-4 Northern #844 with DCC
The FEF-3’s initial release is the well-known #844, the last (and longest) surviving FEF-3 Steam locomotive, operated to this day by the UP on its excursion trains.
The Model FEF-3 will be capable of being displayed with either the cab windows open or closed - easily swapped with a removable part - so that modelers can depict the FEF-3 in the manner of their choosing.
Like the GS-4 before it, the FEF-3 will have a removable cab roof so that modelers can get a clear view of any engine crews they decide to place inside the detailed and accessible cab interior. The roof will clip securely in place so it won’t dislodge unless you want it to!
The FEF-3 is exquisitely detailed, all the way from the flanges of its drivers to the tips of its stacks. The headlight will be lit with directional LED lighting which will also illuminate the numberboards to the side. The large red emergency light and train number (seen here with the X-844 markings) will not illuminate. (Please note that this image is of a pre-production sample, so some details such as the bell, are still missing).
The FEF-3’s unique 14-wheel tender has a multi-part articulated design that allows it to navigate curves that would otherwise be impossible due to its design, a feature which also allows it to sit prototypically close to the cab while maintaining an 11" minimum radius!
- Semi-modern appearance is appropriate for modern layouts behind UP Excursion trains as well as historical layouts operating freight and UP passenger services.
- New coreless motor design with dual brass flywheels for silky-smooth performance at all speeds, even slow crawls.
- Special cross-braced shock absorbers equalize the pressure on the locomotive drivers to maximize traction.
- Illuminated headlight and locomotive numberboards. The FEF tender does not have operational lights, but lighting kits are available for the special Water Tender cars (sold separately)
- DCC friendly design, allowing for easy drop-in installation of DCC. This locomotive is also available with DCC pre-installed from Kato USA!
- 11" (282mm) Minimum turning radius on ground level track, 15" (381mm) Minimum turning radius on Viaduct track.
- All detail parts installed
Product Condition: New
Product Type: Model Train > Locomotive > Steam Locomotive > 4-8-4 Northern