Cotton Belt (Southern Pacific Speed Lettering) B30-7 #7788 with Lok Sound
- General Electric’s “Dash 7” locomotive line was introduced as a replacement for the older “Universal-Series” of the 60s and early 70s. “Dash 7” series improvements included increased fuel efficiency, tractive effort and reliability. The B23-7 was a direct replacement for the 2,250HP U23B model, while the B30-7 replaced the 3,000HP U30B. The first B23-7s were produced for Conrail in September, 1977, and the first B30-7s were produced for Frisco three months later.
- 199 B30-7s were produced through 1981, with the combined fleets of Southern Pacific and Cotton Belt being the largest at 110 units.
- Several features distinguished B23-7s and B30-7s from predecessor models. The long hood stepped outward in the area of the exhaust stack to accommodate a relocated oil cooler. In addition, the frame was 2 feet longer than that of the U23B. An FB-2 style truck was offered as standard equipment, but some railroads opted to use “trade-in” trucks. Therefore, AAR type B and Blomberg trucks could be found on some models. Six power assembly doors (located near the center of the long hood) indicated that the B23-7 was powered by a 12-cylinder GE FDL engine. Eight power assembly doors in the same location help to identify the B30-7, which included a 16-cylinder FDL engine.
- The Atlas B30-7 locomotive models include such optional/road name specific details as:
- Pilots with and without anti-climber
- Cab headlights or low-nose headlights
- Cab with 4 or 2 side windows
- Bell mounted under the sill or on the long hood
- FB-2, AAR type B, or Blomberg truck side-frames used where appropriate per road name
- Separately-applied scale detail parts include: windshield wipers, metal grab irons, coupler cut levers, multiple-unit hoses, snow plow, train line hoses, fine scale handrails, and more!
- See through step detail on sill
- Etched metal radiator grilles
- Painted crew members
- Factory-equipped with AccuMate® knuckle couplers
- Coupler pocket designed to accept AccuMate® Proto-couplers
- Five-pole skewed armature motor with dual flywheels for optimum performance at all speeds
- Directional lighting
- Atlas Master™ Series Gold Additional Features:
- Sound equipped
- AccuMate® couplers are made under license from AccuRail, Inc.
Product Condition: New
Product Type: Model Train > Locomotive > Diesel Locomotive > GE (General Electric) > B30-7
Found In Catalog:
Cotton Belt (St. Louis Southwestern)